This recipe is a great alternative to store bought bread! Bread from the store is full of chemicals and preservatives. This bread is perfect for sandwiches, toast, or anything else you want to use it for. It’s also great for your gut unlike the store bought variation! This recipe came to us from Cameron in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 cup starter
- 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 6-7 cups of white bread flour
- 500mL of milk
- 150g of butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Day 1 Morning: Mix 1 cup starter, 1 cup fresh spelt flour, 1 cup water. Then cover with glad wrap
- Day 1 Evening: Add 1 cup of white bread flour, 1/2 cup of spelt flour and 1/2 cup of water. Cover again with glad wrap.
- Day 2: Heat 500ml of milk to about 35C. Then add 150g of melted butter, and crack two eggs into this mix. Whisk around to incorporate.
- Add the liquid to the flour/water mix and add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Start adding the flour to the mix slowly. It might be tricky at first but you will end up using about 5-6 cups of flour. You don't want it to be sticky but you don't want it to add too much flour either. Then cover again for 1 hour, to let things settle down.
- After 1 hour, knead the dough for 10 minutes (if the dough is too sticky and sticking to the bench, add little bits of flour here and there.) You'll notice the change in the firmness of the dough as the gluten starts to stretch.
- After 10 minutes of kneading, it's time to add to a bread tin. You can use 900g pullman loaf tins.
- Let rise, bake at 200C (if your oven has an option not to use fan force but still have heat, use it!) And bake for 35 minutes then enjoy!
- You can use these spreads
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!