Simple paper strips that test the pH of fermented foods. Just place the strip on the food and watch the colour change. Match the used strip with the colour code on the pack to get an estimate of the acidity of the food. Low acidity result from a successful fermentation. Low acidity preserves the food and keeps harmful bacteria from growing.
- Reassurance for those new to fermenting
- Fast and easy to use with immediate results
Comes with pH scale colour chart and 80 tester strips made of Litmus paper.
Coloured tester strips must be matched with pH colour chart to determine the pH value: the smaller the number, the stronger the acidity, the larger the value, the stronger the alkalinity.
Do not dip directly in the liquid, drop the test liquid on the tester strips.
Estimated pH values of different fermented food:
- Kombucha: 2.5 – 3.5 (7-10 days fermentation);
- Water kefir: 3.5 (48-72 hrs fermentation);
- Milk kefir: 3.5 – 4.0 (24-48 hrs fermentation);
- Sauerkraut: 3.7 (7 days fermentation);
- Pickles: 3.2 (7 days fermentation).