Dehydrated Water Kefir Grains
Water Kefir Recipe & How-to Reactivate Dry Water Kefir Grains How to Reconstitute Dry Water Kefir
In a suitable glass jar, add dehydrated water kefir grains , 2-cups fresh water and 1 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice. Seal jar and soak for 3 hours. Strain, then use the reconstituted grains per water kefir recipe below.
• Reconstituted water kefir grains
• 50g good quality sugar (we recommend organic unprocessed Rapadura sugar)
• 750ml of cold water (avoid filtered water)
• 1 pinch of bicarb soda
• 1/4 teaspoon of molasses
• Slice of lemon
You will also need a glass jar or a Kefirko Kefir maker for fermenting
#Start fermenting as soon as you received your grains. It takes a few batches for grains to acclimatise to your environment and consistency is the key to success.
1. In a glass jar or Kefir Maker, add water. Dissolve the sugar, molasses and bicarb soda in water
2. When ingredients are dissolved, add the reconstituted water kefir grains and slice of lemon
3. Leave lid of Kefir Maker slightly open.
6. After 48 hours (depending on your taste), pour prepared water kefir into a resealable container through the kefir maker strainer, leaving water kefir grains in kefir maker.
7. Restart the process from step 1.
8. To make the water kefir carbonated (also known as secondary ferment), take the 750ml of water kefir that you have just strained and add 75ml of fruit juice of your choice (such as grape, apple, pomegranate, orange, pineapple etc), add any herbs and spices eg. ginger, turmeric etc. Once you've added the juice and other ingredients, bottle and cap in a second ferment bottle . Leave on the counter for an additional 2 to 7 days until it is fizzy as you like it. Caution: Burp jar regularly during this stage to release pressure. Refrigerate and consume as required.
Caution: Water kefir may become very fizzy so be careful when opening lid after fermentation. Due to the amount of pressure generated there is a risk that cheap bottles can explode. Please use a good quality glass bottle.
We recommend consuming one cup per day for health benefits