If you are looking for a crunchy, satisfying pickle recipe with a little bit of a kick, this is it! These pickles are a fool-proof ferment. You can double or triple this recipe if you have many cucumbers on hand. And if you are looking for a pickle fermentation kit, this is a great one! This recipe came to us from Sarah in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group.
Baby cucumbers (preferably market fresh!)
1 litre of filtered water
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp peppercorns
¼ tsp black tea leaves or grape leaf (this will keep them crunchy!)
Small sliced onion
- Use market fresh baby cucumbers, scrubbed and flower end trimmed. Slice them if you do not want to use them whole or they are too large!
- In a small pan, heat 1 litre of filtered water with 2 tbsp salt to dissolve (this salt ratio is VERY important)
- In the bottom of the jar, put in 1 tbsp mustard seed, a few cloves, a small stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp of coriander seeds, 1 dried or fresh chilli, a bay leaf, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1/4 tsp of black tea leaves or a grape leaf (which help keep everything crunchy), and a small sliced onion. This is to taste, use what you like or what you have available.
- Layer in the baby cucumbers as tight as you can and leave a couple cm of space at the top
- If you have some brine left over from a previous ferment, pour in about 1/4 cup (if not, this is okay!)
- Pour in cooled brine to cover.
- Close the jar, give it a gentle shake, put a pickle pepple on top of the cucumbers to keep everything submerged (however if you packed everything in tight enough it shouldn't move)
- Burp the jars every couple of days if you remember, or use a pickle pipe to let the carbon dioxide out! Give it a smell and a swirl, should smell sour and tangy. They will be ready to eat after a week and it’s fine if you leave it longer. Put them in the fridge when you are ready to eat them!
These are a great addition to any diet or meal, use these pickles as a side, on hamburgers, salads, or sandwiches. Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Gurus Facebook Group!