If you are looking for a healthy tomato ketchup that is a great alternative to the ones full of preservatives at the store, this is it! It has a bit of a spice to it (you can omit the red chilli if you want a milder version!) and is fermented so it is full of the probiotic goodness that your gut needs. This recipe came to us from Christine in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 kg fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 (375g) jar of tomato paste
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 1 finely-chopped Spanish onion
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ -1 finely-chopped red chilli (omit if a milder version is desired)
- 1/4 cup liquid from fermented vegetables (optional)
- Blend tomatoes and tomato paste in a large bowl.
- Add garlic, red chilli, onion, powdered mustard, cloves, allspice, and salt. Whisk together.
- Stir in brown sugar and liquid from fermented vegetables (if using). And if you like a thinner ketchup, add water to your desired consistency.
- Pour into a quality fermentation jar and seal to exclude air. Let it sit at room temperature for 2-4 days to ferment.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and enjoy! (and this lasts for months in the refrigerator)
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!