If you have left over zucchini or want to add more fresh vegetables into your diet this is an easy ferment to make! This is a beautiful spin on a pickle using zucchini and onion. It also combines turmeric and caraway seeds which are both great antioxidants! This recipe came to us from Ilona in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 kg zucchini, finely sliced
- 3 small brown onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 cups Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- Place zucchini, onion and salt in a bowl and mix well, then fill with water until covered. Put a plate with something heavy on top to weigh it down to keep the veggies under the liquid, and set aside for two hours.
- Mix sugar, vinegar, caraway seed, turmeric, and mustard powder in a large saucepan and bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Drain the zucchini and onion mix and add to saucepan
- Keep it off of heat for 2 hours
- Return the saucepan to heat, bring to a boil, and boil for 15 minutes.
- Bottle hot into sterilised jars, seal and leave for 3-4 days before consuming!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!