6 Pack - High Pressure Clear Glass Second Fermentation Bottles with caps (330ml)
6 bottles (330ml) and 6 lids Included so you can mix and match with your favourite combinations. The perfect high quality pressure graded bottles for safely second fermenting Water Kefir or Kombucha.
What is Second Fermentation?
Second fermentation is an additional fermentation step to add excitement to your brew. Sugars are converted to acid and carbon dioxide gas which generates a huge amount of pressure, that's enough to cause cheap, low quality bottles to explode. This is why we launched these high quality bottles.
You can experiment with a range of different juices, whole fruit pieces, honey, herbs, spices and superfoods to create an endless range of different flavour and nutritional combinations. The fermentation helps to unlock nutritional compounds in your foods, making them more bioavailable but most appealing is it creates the most delicious probiotic fizzy drinks, low in sugar and much more economical and probiotic rich than store bought products.
How to Second Ferment Kombucha or Water Kefir
- Once you've fermented your kombucha or water kefir, mix in a jug, 1 part fruit juice with 9 parts Kombucha/ Water Kefir + any spices and superfood like turmeric, acai, spirulina, maca, matcha etc + any herbs like mint, basil etc. There are lots of recipes ideas in our free NourishmeOrganics GutHealth Gurus Group here
- Pour Mixture into Second Ferment Bottle, leaving 3 to 5 cm headspace and cap tightly.
- Leave at room temperature for 2 to 7 days depending on the weather at the time i.e a warmer temperature will result in a faster second ferment ( the longer you leave the less sugar will be left but your brew will be more sour and potentially higher in alcohol). We recommend tasting your brew daily to establish the taste that you like, and at this point you can end the ferment. Tasting is a good way to remind you to open and release any excess pressure in the bottle.
- Transfer brew to a refrigerator to chill.
- Open and Serve*
*Caution: Water kefir and Kombucha Second Ferments may become very fizzy so be careful when opening lid after fermentation
All fermented foods may contain trace amounts of alcohol. If fermented foods are being prepared for children, breastfeeding mothers, or pregnant women please seek medical advice from a trained medical practitioner before consuming these products.
- first ferment was conducted with lid slightly open
- the first ferment is sour to taste
- use no more than 25ml fruit juice per 250ml
- second ferment for 48 hours max, chill and consume within 24 hours ( you will not get as much fizz but alcohol will be as low as possible)
Great for bottling 2nd ferment water kefir,
Love experimenting with different flavours,
Good product. ☆☆☆☆☆
Very happy with these. Don’t leak and are very strong. I’ll be buying more when I can.
Love them so easy good size no doubt I will buy another six once I'm convinced on what I'm putting in them (water kefir)
Great product, bottles just the right size for me. No more worrying about exploding bottles