1 tsp. (5g) organic almond milk kefir grains as purchased
250 ml organic almond milk
1 organic fig or date
1 X 950 mL Ball Mason Jar or Kefir Maker (Optional)
1 X Ball Mason Fermenting Lid or 1 X Pickle Pipe (Optional)
*Start fermenting as soon as you received your grains. It takes a few batches for grains to acclimatise to your environment and consistency is the key to success.
1) Add almond milk kefir grains to a Ball Mason Jar or Kefirko Kefir Maker.
2) Pour 250ml organic almond milk over grains, add 1 fig or date and cover the mouth of your bottle with a clean tea towel or cheesecloth, securing it with a rubber band.
3) Place in a warm spot to ferment for 7-10 hours.
4) Then close lid of your kefir maker or mason jar and ferment in a refrigerator for a further 48 hours.
5) Strain grains out using a sieve or simple pour out through inbuilt strainer on Kefir Maker. At this point, the milk kefir can be consumed. Once ready almond milk kefir can be stored in a refrigerator for 2 weeks.
6) Use strained grains to start a fresh batch as per step 1
We would recommend starting with with a tablespoon and working up to 1 cup per day.
Storage of Almond Milk Kefir Grains
For long-term storage, almond milk kefir grains can be store in a freezer for up to 2 years. After freezing, almond milk kefir grain may take up to 4 batches before returning to original potency.
All fermented foods may contain trace amounts of alcohol. If fermented foods are being prepared for children, breastfeeding mothers, or pregnant women please seek medical advice from a trained medical practitioner before consuming these products.
To keep alcohol as low as possible, make sure that:
- consume within 24 hours as alcohol content will increase over time in refrigerated storage