How to Make Coconut Water Kefir
• 15g coconut water kefir grains
• 500ml of coconut water (you can use regular preservative free coconut water or coconut water directly from coconut)
You will also need a glass jar or a Kefirko Kefir maker (available on our website) for fermenting
*Start fermenting as soon as you received your grains. It takes a few batches for grains to acclimatise to your environment and consistency is the key to success.
1. Pour coconut water into a glass jar or a kefirko kefir maker jar and add 15g of rapadura sugar, mix thoroughly
2. Add the 15g coconut water kefir grains
3. Cover loosely with lid. If using a Kefirko Kefir Maker leave lid slightly open
4. Leave on the counter or cupboard (preferably at 20 to 24 degrees celsius) for 24 to 48 hours (in hot weather, it ferments faster) - sip it as you go to get a feel for what 1 day coconut water kefir and 2 days coconut water kefir tastes like. The longer you leave it, the more sour and tangy the kefir.
5. After 24 to 48 hours (depending on your tastes), strain the coconut water kefir through a mesh strainer (or the in-built strainer if you have a Kefirko kefir maker), pouring the liquid into another container and retaining the grains
6. Restart the process by adding more coconut water to the coconut water kefir grains
7. To make the coconut water kefir carbonated (also known as secondary ferment), take the coconut water kefir that you have just strained and add to it approximately 50ml of fruit juice of your choice (such as grape, apple, pomegranate, orange etc), any flavours such as herbs, ginger etc.
Caution: Water kefir may become very fizzy so be careful when opening lid after fermentation. Due to the amount of pressure generated there is a risk that cheap bottles can explode. Please use a good quality glass bottle. We recommend our second ferment bottle.
We recommend consuming one glass per day for health benefits
All fermented foods may contain trace amounts of alcohol. If fermented foods are being prepared for children, breastfeeding mothers, or pregnant women please seek medical advice from a trained medical practitioner before consuming these products.