If you are looking for a wonderful yet easy ferment that you can make any day of the week, this red cabbage sauerkraut is it! It has a beautiful mix of cabbage, apples, fennel, and coriander! This recipe came to us from Joanna in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1/2 small Red Cabbage
- 1 good handful of grated apple
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- Coriander Seeds
- 1tsp of fennel Seeds or 2-3drops Fennel Essential Oil (has to be high grade quality)
- Optional: Masontops Pickle Pipe Mega Fermentation Kit
- Shred the cabbage thinly and sprinkle with sea salt
- Squeeze and massage for 10 minutes until a good amount of liquid appears
- Mix in grated apple, coriander seeds and fennel seeds (or fennel oil)
- Pack into the jar tightly so the liquid rises to the top. Make sure to leave around 2cm clear at the top of the jar.
- Cover with Cabbage leaves and tuck in so the shredded cabbage is airtight and beneath the liquid
- Place lid on jar & Cover and leave in a dark cool place for about 5-7days
- Burp Jars daily until it stops bubbling then it’s ok to place in the fridge to enjoy!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!