If you are looking for a healthy, yet delicious cake, this is a wonderful option! You can use either monk fruit sweetener which is a natural zero calorie sweetener that is full of antioxidants or Rapadura Sugar which is one of the healthiest sugars available! It also uses Milk Kefir Cheese for the icing so it has probiotic benefits as well. This recipe makes (1) 8” or 9” inch cake. It came to us from Patrice in the Gut Health Gurus Facebook Group!
Ingredients for Cake:
-1 cup fresh-ground whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sourdough starter
-⅜ cup whole milk
-½ to ¾ Monk Fruit sweetener or Rapadura Sugar
-½ cup barely melted coconut oil
-½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 or 2 eggs (use 3 eggs if doubling)
-½ teaspoon sea salt
-½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-½ teaspoon ground cloves
-1/4 teaspoon allspice
-½ teaspoon (scant) baking soda (use ¾ teaspoon if doubling)
-½ teaspoon (scant) baking powder (use ¾ teaspoon if doubling)
Ingredients for Icing:
All to taste:
-Pinch of salt
-Powdered monk fruit sweetener
- Combine the starter, milk, and flour in a mixing bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 8-12 hours (up to 24 hours)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, Grease (1) 8” or 9” square or round cake pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the monk fruit or Rapadura sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and egg. Beat. Add sourdough mixture, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices, Beat until smooth
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clearly. Remove from the oven and set on the rack to cool.
- Frost when cool. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
This cake is fairly simple to make and can be used as a wonderful birthday cake. But it is healthy enough to make each week as a healthy dessert. Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Gurus Facebook Group!