A flourless, low carb, gluten free yet delicious cake? Sounds like a dream! If you are looking for an amazing cake to make that is full of healthier ingredients and is still just as delicious, this is it. It is full of coconut flour, milk kefir, and you can even make some of this healthy ice cream to serve on the side! This recipe came to us from Lydia in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
Ingredients For Cake:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar alternative (stevia, natvia, coconut sugar etc)
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup thick milk kefir
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (extra for garnish)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 8" springform pans
Ingredients For The Frosting:
- 8oz homemade ricotta (or you can use regular cream cheese if you haven't got ricotta)
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener (blitz in food processor)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut
- Heat oven 160cff 180c norm (and grease pans)
- Beat butter with sweetener then egg yolks one at a time, beat in kefir and vanilla
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients then mix it into the butter mixture
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks then fold into the batter
- Divide between the 2 pans and bake for 40-45mins.
- For the frosting: Beat ricotta (or cream cheese if using) with the butter, add sweetener and vanilla, then slowly add cream until it's a spreadable consistency
- Fill the cake with half of the frosting and cover the cake with the rest
- Press Chopped pecans around the sides then sprinkle on top with the coconut that you have toasted in the microwave, be careful not to burn it
- ENJOY! This makes around 16 pieces of delicious cake!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!