Making homemade creamy coconut yoghurt is easy with this recipe and in the end you will have a probiotic rich yoghurt that is way better than the store bought version! You can also buy this kit that has more of these ingredients included! You can enjoy it as a wonderful addition in any of these smoothies. This recipe came to us from Lindel in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 litre glass container with a glass lid.
- A food thermometer
- 600ml coconut cream
- 1/3 cups of filtered, chlorine free water
- 2 tablespoons of rapadura sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or teaspoon vanilla paste or powder (Do not mix until AFTER culturing is complete)
- 1 teaspoon agar agar
- 2 teaspoons of yoghurt starter culture OR 1/2 cup of coconut yoghurt to get the culture going and growing!
- Boil a cup of water and add the agar agar / gelatin in. Simmer for 4-5 mins or until agar agar cannot be seen
- Mix your tapioca and 1/3 cup water along with the rapadura sugar
- Add the tapioca mix to the saucepan and whisk constantly for a minute or two
- Add your coconut cream and heat until you just see a couple of bubbles start to pop up. Keep stirring continuously until you get there.
- Turn the heat off and pop the saucepan by the window until the heat comes down to 45C. This will take about 40 minutes.
- Once you get it back down to approx 45C approx, it is time to introduce your culture of choice. You will also have to preheat your oven as low as it goes.
- Whisk the culture of choice in and combine well.
- Pour out into your culturing receptacle, that should be well washed and dried.
- Pop it into your very low temp oven, with the door ajar and your jar / pyrex in the middle depth of the tray. (OR you can use your yoghurt maker and disregard the rest of the steps!)
- Test the temperature in 10 minutes to make sure it hasn't shot up. If it has, move the yoghurt closer to the ajar oven door where it will be cooler. Test again after 10 minutes.
- Once you know it has settled at around 45C, you can leave it be for around 8 hours.
- Lastly, take it out of the oven and pop into the fridge to set as it cools. It will be liquidly at this point, do not panic! Now is the time that you can mix in vanilla bean paste, powder or bean for a delicious vanilla flavour infusion by the next morning!
- Enjoy with berries, on top of your oatmeal, or in a smoothie!
Make sure to share what you thought about this recipe and your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!