If you love sriracha, this is the recipe for you! Using bird's eye chillies, garlic, apple cider vinegar, tea bags (which include tannins which are full of antioxidants) and loads of spices, this recipe is sure to be a household staple! You can even modify it if you don’t enjoy super spicy sauces by using different types of peppers. This recipe came to us from Lindel in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- A bunch of home grown, hot bird's eye fireball chillies (or you can use a less spicy pepper!)
- 1 black tea bag (for the bottom of the jar for crispness)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 carrot (skin on) thinly sliced
- 1 large sprig of celery leaves
- 1 onion cut into wedges or 3-4 shallots sliced
- 4-6 garlic cloves (peeled and whole)
- 1-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Brine (1 1/4 teaspoon of salt per cup of water. In this case, 6 1/4 teaspoons of salt to 5 cups filtered water)
- Create the brine and add all of the ingredients into mason jars
- Pour the brine over the vegetables and place a pickle pebble on top so everything is under the brine.(you can use this kit!)
- Ferment for 2-3 weeks depending on the level of activity in the jar.
- After this, strain off and reserve the brine, remove the tea bag, blend it all with 1 added cup of the reserved brine.
- Place it back into the jar and leave it to ferment for another week
- Then put it in the refrigerator and enjoy!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!