If you have an extra amount of lemons and would love to have a preserve to use down the road, this is a beautiful recipe! It is very simple and will give you the chance to have preserved lemons in 1 month! This recipe has come to us from Arthur in the Gut Health Gurus Facebook Group!
- 1.5kg lemons
- 350g salt
- 1 tablespoon of lightly crushed coriander
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup of raw honey
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 3 cups of warm water
- Cut each lemon 3/4 the way through lengthways (still joined at the base) so it is quartered
- Place in a plastic bag in the freezer for 24 hours. (Freezing the lemons speeds the process up. If you don't want to freeze the lemons first you need to store for 3 months before opening!)
- Take the lemons out and let them defrost.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of salt inside each lemon then arrange them neatly in a 2L jar. With each layer, sprinkle it with more salt and some coriander seeds.
- Place a cinnamon stick down opposite sides of the jar and the bay leaves on the other sides.
- Mix the honey and lemon juice into the warm water. Fill the jar with this juice/water. Screw the lid on the jar. Put the jar in a pot that will cover it. Put a tea towel or piece of cardboard on the bottom and fill the pot to cover the jar.
- Heat until boiling and boil for 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and when cool enough take the jar out.
- Store in a cool dry place for at least 1 month before using (if the lemons were frozen, if not, see step 1!) Place in the fridge once open.
Remember to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Gurus Facebook Group!