You’ll get double the dose of probiotics in this two step ice cream! For the first step you will be fermenting cherries and in the next you need some milk kefir and an ice cream maker to create this delicious ice cream. And you will use the fermented honey as the sweetener which makes it even more rich in probiotics. This recipe came to us from Emma in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 ¼ milk kefir (use this kit to make your own!)
- 1 ¼ whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup cherry honey (left over from the fermented cherries)
- Rinse the cherries and halve them while taking the pits out. Put them in a clean mason jar and pour honey over top of them until it's about 3cm above the cherries.
- Shake and turn the jar and make sure to burp each day until the fermentation bubbles stop.
- When the cherries are ready, combine the milk kefir, whipping cream, egg yolks, and cherry honey into a bowl and whisk together.
- Put the mixture in your ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes. In the last 5-10 minutes, add 3 tbsp of finely chopped fermented cherries.
- Once it’s done, put it in a freezer container to finish setting in the freezer then enjoy with even more cherries on top!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!