Making sure that you have a variety of fermented vegetables throughout your day is key to a healthy gut! This apple fennel kraut recipe is delicious and creative. Using fennel bulbs, granny smith apples, cabbage, and onion, it's a beautiful mix of sweet and salty! This recipe came to us from Petrece in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 1 red cabbage (around 1550 grams)
- 40 grams salt
- 200g thinly sliced granny smith apples
- 100g thinly sliced fennel bulbs (if you don’t have fennel you can use 100g celery and 1 tsp fennel seed)
- 100g thinly sliced yellow onion
- 10g fennel seeds
- Sprinkle salt over shredded cabbage. Massage vigorously for about 5 minutes until it starts to release liquid
- Add all other ingredients to it and mix
- Add it into a mason jar and tap down hard (you can use this kit for jars and pebbles to keep it submerged!)
- Submerge under the brine with about 2 inches of headspace
- Watch over few days for overflow of brine
- Ferment for 2-3 weeks, tasting often
- Stores for up to 10 months in the refrigerator!
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!