If you love spicy kimchi you will love this spicy eggplant kimchi! It’s a beautiful mix of fresh eggplant, kimchi sauce, and a few peppers. It’s simple to make and it lasts for 6 months in the refrigerator. This recipe came to us from Lydia from the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 4 medium eggplant (sliced then halved)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2” piece of ginger
- 2 shallots
- ¼ cup of red pepper
- ½ cup soy or tamari sauce
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 spring onions
- 1 chopped red, green, or yellow capsicum
- Cut your eggplant and put them to the side
- Put your garlic, ginger, shallots, red pepper, soy or tamari sauce, and fish sauce into a food processor
- Place eggplant in a colander and dover with salt (let it sit for a few hours)
- Rinse slightly and squeeze out the moisture
- Make 1 litre of brine with 2tbs of salt and put the eggplant in and let it marinate for 3-4 hours
- Strain well and squeeze out the brine (but reserve it!)
- Add 1 chopped red, green, or yellow capsicum and 2 spring onions into the jar.
- Rub eggplant with kimchi sauce (use gloves, it’s very spicy!)
- Then place them into the quality jar with enough brine to cover
- Ferment for about a week then refrigerate. It will last 6 months. It is very spicy
Make sure to share your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!