If you’re looking for a use for your leftover whey from cheese making, this delicious caramel is a great recipe! It’s perfect for drizzling over desserts like this gluten free fruit cake or this spice cake. As long as you have the time, it’s easy to make with only a few ingredients! This recipe came to us from Grace in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!
- 2 quarts sweet or acidic whey (leftover from cheese making, you can use this kit!)
- 1 ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds only)
- 4 ounces of butter
- ¼ cup of lemon juice (only if using sweet whey!)
- Add whey to a heavy stock pot on low/medium heat and simmer down at least ½ over the course of an hour. (low and slow is better than risking it by scorching the pan on too high of a temp)
- Once reduced, add the sugar, vanilla bean seeds, butter, and lemon juice (if using sweet whey)
- Stir occasionally on low.medium until well combined then slowly raise the heat to medium
- Stir frequently, as over the next 30-45 minutes the whey will slowly start to caramelize and reduce to a syrupy consistency. Be patient because it can scorch if left unattended.
- The whey will slowly change colors and become more brown, then start to foam. Continue to stir more often as it caramelizes incredibly quickly. Once it thickens to the point that it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir as it cools.
- The whey caramel will thicken considerably as it cools.
- Enjoy over this Macadamia and Raspberry Kefir Ice Cream, over popcorn, or even on top of pancakes!
Make sure to share what you thought about this recipe and your creations with us in the Gut Health Guru’s Facebook Group!